You can move through your midlife journey with clarity, focus, and power.
Any midlife transition is a spiritual journey. It’s Hero’s Journey, and you are a Hero. It’s a journey of retrieval of your full powers.
What You Need to Know
If you are in a Midlife Crisis, or a significant midlife transition, here’s what you need to know:
- why midlife journeys can be so overwhelming and chaotic
- how a they can be different
- how the mythology of the Hero’s Journey can inspire and inform your midlife journey, giving you power and focus
- that you are a Hero
- how Wayfinding Coach can provide you with many practical resources to help you move through your midlife journey with clarity and power
The Challenge with Midlife Changes
Many of us avoid making midlife changes, especially at first.
Why do we do this? Why do we not embrace them with boundless eagerness and excitement?
- Midlife transitions are often disorienting and confusing, especially in the initial stages.
- You tend to lose your sense of who you are, where you are, and how to find your way. The old must go before the new can be born.
- We live complex lives. When we experience a midlife transition, multiple aspects of our lives are affected. There are a lot of interdependent moving parts. It’s not just about moving one piece and putting it down in another place. It often means juggling change in a lot of areas of our lives until we can see where even one needs to land. It can get messy.
- Any midlife transition is an inner transformation as well as an outer change. Most of us aren’t conscious of that, so we don’t consciously tend to the inner aspects of the change. Ironically, that’s where all the focus, leverage and power resides.
How We Try to Solve the Problem: Get a Plan
We are taught by our culture to get a plan in place and execute it, as soon as possible, when a midlife challenge or transition comes upon us.
But sometimes you don’t know who you are anymore, or where you are going, so how can you have a plan?
Here’s the truth: when you are in an unfamiliar territory of life, there is no plan.
If you had a plan, it would be somebody else’s plan. Every journey is unique.
However, when there is no plan, you can feel powerless and overwhelmed.
That’s the last thing you want to feel when your life is shifting, so what do you do with that?
A Different Understanding of Midlife Changes
What if you are really a Hero, on a sacred journey, rather than someone who is catapulted headlong into an unwanted change?
If you are in a Midlife Crisis, or a midlife transition, you are on a Hero’s Journey. When you know that, everything changes.
Hero’s Journeys are about the retrieval of your true powers and your inner wisdom. They are a spiritual journey.
You are a Hero. You were born as one, and now your midlife journey is offering you an opportunity to step into it.
When you wake up one day, and realize that you have been playing by someone else’s rules in some significant areas of your life, it is the invitation to come home to your true self. You are being called to reclaim your true identity, and then to create your life in alignment with that true self.
Being a hero can help you do that. Heroes know how to find their way through the unknown territory of transition. So, to them, it is an adventure, and it is a purposeful calling.
Heroes connect with their inner wisdom to find their way. As you connect with your inner wisdom, you know what to do, and you can find your way, step by step. You can move through your midlife transition with clarity, power, and focus.
What is the Hero’s Journey?
The Hero’s Journey is a myth that is common across cultures, worldwide. It is a spiritual journey.
The Hero leaves their known world and ventures out into unknown territory. He/she (gender is irrelevant) encounters monsters and dragons, helpers and wizards, and digs deeply within herself to discover her true powers, in order to deal with the new challenges along the way.
As a result, she finds who she really is, and she brings this understanding and wisdom back into her world. Now she creates her life in a way that is most authentic to her. And, she has received gifts from her Hero’s Journey that she will share with her community, making a contribution that is meaningful and purposeful to her.
For a free download PDF on the stages of the Hero’s Journey of Life Transition, click here.
How the Hero’s Journey Myth Can Help You in Your Midlife Journey
The Hero’s Journey myth can help you in two ways:
- It can provide you with wisdom, insight, and perspective to inform and inspire you during your midlife transition.
- It can show you what to do in your midlife transition. When you do what Heroes do during their journeys, you can move through your midlife transition with clarity, power, and focus. This helps you remain empowered and in a resourceful state in your midlife journey.
The Wisdom of the Hero’s Journey
The wisdom of the Hero’s Journey teaches us some important truths about being in a life transition, especially in midlife.
There is no map (or plan) for your midlife journey, and that’s ok. In fact, that’s normal. If you had a plan, it would be someone else’s plan. You’ve never been here before. Your own plan will emerge along the way, step-by-step. Permission to not know.
You have everything you need, inside of you, to find your way. You were born with it. It’s your internal guidance system, and you just need to know how to access it, and how to use it consistently and reliably (most of us have never learned this).
It really is about the journey, not the destination. The tendency in our culture is to do everything you can to fix your circumstance or situation, and as fast as you can. Your midlife journey is about your transformation: finding your true inner powers. When you do, you can navigate your life, through anything that circumstances present to you.
There are some specific tools to help you find your way in your midlife journey. Once you are familiar with these, you won’t feel so lost, and you will know what to do to find your way. Some examples of these are meditation, guided visualization, and journaling.
When you have completed your Hero’s Journey, you will have tapped into the authentic power and energy of your True Self. You will have a unique contribution to make to your community that gives you meaning and purpose. There are some incredibly valuable and surprising gifts in any midlife transition.
What You Do in a Midlife Transition
Heroes learn to do two things better than the rest of us, when they are on their journeys.
- They navigate the dark, unknown territory of life transition by using their inner compass, effectively and reliably.
- They move with clarity, power, and focus because of their practices. They do essentials tasks, or practices, consistently.
What Are These Essential Practices?
- Regain a feeling of control; acknowledge that it’s a spiritual journey and that you are a hero.
- Manage the stress of your midlife transition.
- Let go of the non-essentials of your life, inner and outer.
- Navigate the unknown territory of your midlife transition, using your inner compass.
- Embody and sustain the authentic power and energy of your True Self.
- Claim the authority of your own voice and truth.
- Make your unique contribution to your world, giving you a sense of meaning and purpose.
What’s the How?
Now you know the wisdom of the Hero’s Journey, and you know that Heroes use their inner compass consistently. You also know what practices Heroes do to stay empowered in their life transitions.
Now you need to know how to implement the wisdom of the journey, to access your inner compass, and to establish your practices.
To move through your midlife transition with clarity, power, and focus, you need some essential tools of life transition.
You need a Hero’s Toolkit.
Some examples of the essential tools that you need in your Hero’s Toolkit are:
- Intentions for being
- Accessing inner guidance, consistently and reliably
- Guided visualization and meditation
Where Wayfinding Coach Comes In
I specialize in helping you find your way through the unknown territory of your midlife transition, with power, energy, clarity, and focus. Everything I do on this website and in my work is focused with this purpose in mind.
Here’s How I Can Help You
Life Coaching is a powerful process that will help you do all of the above activities more effectively and efficiently than going it alone.
Free resources to help you navigate the unknown territory of your midlife journey:
- Like my Facebook page for tips, tools, and new resources.
- Get my free Inner Guidance Hotline Kit by filling in the information at the top of the right sidebar on any page on this site.
- Sign up for my Blog, where I share my own journey (scroll down the right sidebar until you see “Follow the Wayfinding Blog”).
- Check out the Freebies + Kits page on this website for info and tools on life transitions.
Menopause is a physical change that is also the ultimate retrieval of our spiritual selves. If you are in peri-menopause or menopause, check out the Your Menopause Journey section of this site; it’s especially designed to support you.